Monday, October 14, 2013

Frankenstein Makes A Visit & There Was An Old Lady...

Frankenstein made a visit to speech this week! I was finally able to decorate my door for Halloween on Friday afternoon! Here is my Pinterest inspired masterpiece....


I also must apologize for not posting in almost a month! I let life get the best of me, but I promise to be posting more and more :) Last week we read There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves by Lucille Colandro in my speech room!

 
First, I read the book aloud while asking comprehension questions throughout the story as I read. Then, I read the book again, but this time I had the kids feed the old lady as I read. I inherited this snazzy old lady from Mrs. Kristin Cummings over at Simply Speech! The kids had a blast feeding her! I used the (free!) printables from 3 Dinosaurs mentioned on Simply Speech. I laminated one set of the printables in color for the kids to feed the old lady, so that I can keep them for next year. Here is where you can find them!


After we fed her, each student made their own old lady. I used Jenn Alcorn's Feed the Granny activity from her There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books Language Unit that I purchased from her TpT store. You can download it here. I cut out the granny's face and taped a plastic bag to the back. As we retold the story, the kids labeled the back of each picture and fed their own old lady (sequencing)!

 
This week my language groups are reading Where's My Mummy? by Carolyn Crimi. I absolutely love it! It is an adorable story to share with the little ones near Halloween! If you don't have a copy, I would definitely grab one! My speech groups are doing some activities that I will be using in my speech centers next week. I'll be sure to give an update at the end of the week :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment