Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Trash or Treasure?!

While I was sitting in a wonderful training over the summer, our speaker introduced a game she had made to play with one of her students called "Sentence Jail." She created nonsense sentences that were placed in "jail." In order to set these sentences "free," the student had to decide if they made sense or not. If not, he would fix them and turn them into real sentences. We were able to watch a pretty lengthy video of her playing this game, and her student was very engaged, which got me thinking....
 
 
and Trash or Treasure? was born! I picked up a table top trash can from Target (where I buy everything I don't order from Amazon, eBay, or Etsy!). I create sentences related to my student loaded with incorrect pronoun use, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization & crinkle them up. They then become "trash" that my student has to turn into "treasure" by correcting all of the mistakes. So far, I only use this with one student who has language goals that target her writing skills, and she loves it! You could easily adapt this game to target articulation goals, too!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment